A MONTH BEFORE THE MOVE
- Reserve a moving company for your move as soon as you know you are moving.
- Purchase moving boxes and necessary packing supplies.
- Start to clean out closets, the garage, and attic.
- Host a garage sale or donate your unwanted things to charity.
- Arrange to transfer school records.
- Get change of address cards from your local post office or change your address online.
- Notify magazines, charge accounts, insurance companies, clubs, and all other organizations of your change of address.
- If possible, get owner’s manuals for appliances in your new home.
ONE TO TWO WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Make a “survival closet” of things you will need for the final clean-up and include snacks for the last day.
- If you decide to pack yourself, label all moving boxes as you pack. Write the destination room on the top and sides of each moving box to ensure it gets to the right place in your new home.
- Schedule disconnects for utilities such as gas, electric, water and the telephone. If you have a landline, do not disconnect it until after your move. Arrange for refunds that are due, and schedule connections for your new residence.
- Cancel newspapers, Internet, cable TV, security, pest control, cleaning help, lawn maintenance, and any other services you receive.
THE WEEK OF THE MOVE
- Mail in your change of address forms.
- Clean the stove and finish up any last minute cleaning before move day.
- Finish up packing and be sure all items are boxed and ready to go prior to the movers’ arrival.
THE DAY BEFORE THE MOVE
- Clean the refrigerator.
- Get enough cash to tide you over. Cash comes in handy if you need to order pizza during your move, or dinner in your new place!
- Say goodbye to your neighbors!
DAY OF THE MOVE
- Pack your suitcase and day of the move box with all necessary essentials to get you through the next few days in case you don’t get to unpacking right away.
- Be sure you’re present when the movers arrive so you can walk them through the home and indicate what you need moved or anything in particular they should be aware of.
- Once all belongings are loaded onto the moving truck, be sure to do one more walkthrough and lock all windows and outside doors, in addition to checking all lights and your thermostat are off before heading to your new home.
Sugar Grove Local Utility Set-Up
-Sign up for the village services Water/sewer/refuse can be done online using the link below. Please note that water and garbage are on the same bill monthly and sewer is billed separately by Fox Metro every OTHER month.
Citizen Action Line – Sugar Grove
-Gas is Nicor and can be set up by calling 888Nicor4U or visiting Nicorgas.com and filling out the Start Service Form
Stop/Start/Transfer or Add Service
-Electric is ComEd and can be set up here:
-Refuse and Recycling information can be found here:
Refuse, Recycling and Yard Waste Information – Sugar Grove
-Internet providers: At&T, Mediacom, Xfinity (Comcast), Hughes Net
Cable/Satellite: Mediacom, Xfininty (Comcast), Direct TV, Dish Network
This is a great website with all the numbers and a few other choices available but not as popular in our area:
Internet Providers in Sugar Grove, IL & Cable/TV Companies – Decision Data